Winter in Wisconsin is coming, so gear up with ideas to make the most of the season! From seasonal sips to breathtaking scenic views, bundle up and…
Agritourism in the Stevens Point Area
Agritourism continues to grow in popularity in the Stevens Point Area. Feltz Dairy Store will be opening later in 2017. The store will feature fresh cheese, ice cream and other farm products in a new facility on the working dairy farm. The farm, which co-hosted the 2014 Wisconsin Farm Technology Days event, is a state of the art family run operation using a robotic milking system.
Whitefeather Organics, an organic farm just east of Stevens Point, has expanded their offerings to include a pizza oven. The farm known for its support of local farm to table restaurants, including Christian’s Bistro, and as a local CSA option wants to invite people to enjoy pizza on the farm. The pizza oven was used for two events this fall, and will include a larger calendar for 2017. The recipes will include sauce and toppings that were grown on site. (Pictures from a fall event at the farm here.)
Farm to Fork Restaurants:
• Christian’s Bistro
• Emy J’s Coffeehouse & Café
• Father Fats Public House
Farm to Fork Bakeries:
• Earthcrust Bakery – using solar, organic grains, local dairy, eggs and honey
• The Main Grain Bakery – using all natural, local and organic ingredients
• Village Hive – a bakery and local foods collective
Eron’s Event Barn, located just west of Stevens Point opened in 2016. The transformed barn now hosts crafting events to create your own masterpiece to private events (from agricultural focused educational events and weddings) and everything in between.
More local food can be found at the new Indoor Farmers Market this winter through the Central Rivers Farmshed. The event is hosted every Saturday morning through March at Redeemer Lutheran Church in Stevens Point. A variety of products will be available, including fruits, vegetables, meats, cheese, eggs, bakery, cider, maple syrup, honey, sorghum, fresh and dried flowers, plants, jams, jellies, pickles and other prepared and preserved food products. The market will also feature local breakfast foods for purchase.
Other Local Food Items worth noting:
• The Central Rivers Farmshed promotes local, sustainable food and frequently sponsors tours, cooking classes and other special events. They also publish the Central Wisconsin Farm Fresh Atlas, listing farms, farm to fork cuisine, farmers markets and other ag supported businesses.
• The Market on Strongs is a specialty store featuring hundreds of products from area producers, including seasonal vegetables, grass-raised beef and artisan pasta.
• Shoppers can explore additional local products at the Stevens Point Area Co-op, which is housed in a historic brick building and is home to Earthcrust Bakery.
• For another twist, don’t miss the cocktails direct from the source at Great Northern Distilling. Their first product, Potato Vodka, uses potatoes grown just a few miles from the distillery. There is no dull drink here; they specialize in custom cocktails with a rotating menu, at their mixology bar.