In This Section
Create a piece
Temporary Public Outdoor Barrel Art Guidelines
Road Construction is in full swing in Portage County and by the looks and sounds of it, it’ll be here to stay through summer and beyond. While road work is necessary it can also be a pain for locals and visitors alike as they navigate through the region. The Stevens Point Area Convention and Visitors Bureau along with the CREATE portage county are turning this daunting reality into something fun and quirky. Sculptors of all ages and abilities are asked to create artwork using recycled barrels, cones and delineator posts provided by Mega Rentals. Finished artwork will be displayed outdoors throughout Portage County.
Project Time Frame
Barrel, Cone and Post Distribution: April 24-July 7, 2017, Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm (pick-up after hours can be arranged by calling 715-344-2556 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Visitor Information Center, 340 Division Street North, Stevens Point, WI 54481.
Exhibition Display: April 24-Sept. 4, 2017
Promotion: Memorial-Labor Day weekends
• A written description and/or sketch of proposed artwork, if available.
• Estimated number of barrels needed.
• Submissions must be self-supporting: foundations or bases are not provided. Delivery and installation are the artist’s responsibility. A written description of the installation method, dismantling method, and anchoring procedure, if available. Artists are required to dispose of/recycle sculptures following the promotion on their own.
• What inspired you to create this piece? Artist’s statement and resume (not required but suggested).
• The proposed location for the installation (if you don’t have one, we can help match locale with an artist).
• Intended installation date? While we’d like to have these on display prior to May 26th we welcome them to be installed after May 26 and displayed through Labor Day weekend.
This form is currently unavailable
Paper submissions go to:
Stevens Point Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
340 Division Street North
Stevens Point, WI 54481
Questions regarding submissions? Call 715-344-2556.
The Stevens Point Area Convention & Visitors Bureau and CREATE portage county will review all submissions and will make sure they are appropriate for public display. They reserve the right to display and promote pieces of art that capture the goals of the project. Issues of particular concern to include safety and durability of the artwork, and its suitability to the site.